The Temper Fact Checker presents the 5W flashcards of our most titillating and savory ones sauntering through the China Fashion scene, one brand or designer at a time. 5W, you ask? “Who, What, When, Where, Why,” we say. Come hither, Hanyu Cui. Check!
Hanyu Cui (崔翰宇 in Chinese) is a young artist and fashion designer currently based in New York City. Cui in September 2018 graduated from Parsons New School of Design.
His graduation work showed a man who dares let creativity and conception carouse, turning into dramatic fashion previous swirls on paper inspired by the pop culture of monsters, manga, and fairytales from his youth.
Painting and fashion design are intrinsically linked across Cui’s work. Inspired by his “daydreams” of mythical worlds and creatures, the artist sketches the more impassioned and sensitive side of mankind through the juxtapositioning of scale and breathe tangible life into custom prints.
Cui inhabits a “Universe Without Boundaries” — aka a direct translation of his full name as well as the title of his latest Thai exhibition. Scroll down for more on that topic.
At the age of 26, Cui already has a multi-faceted and rich palmares to present. Summing up:
- Beijing Institute of Fashion Technology, 2012-2016 (Beijing, China)
- Bachelor of Fashion Design and Technology
- Parsons School of Design, 2016- 2018 (New York, U.S.)
- Master of Fashion Design and Society
- The New School Dean’s Merit Scholarship, 2016;
- CFDA+the 2017 Geoffrey Beene Design Scholar Award, 2017
- Cui’s pieces have been featured in Vogue Italia and Harper’s Bazaar Arabia;
- The Cui label has been cast by more than one celeb gig, from East to West, singers and actresses alike.
Cui was born in Guiyang, a small mountainous scenic village in Guizhou province. Upon graduating from the Beijing Institute of Fashion Technology, Cui was left feeling unfulfilled with his artistic progress, especially when comparing his artworks to those of his peers from internationally acclaimed art schools.
Brimming with ambition, the artist subsequently decided to apply to one of the world’s top design schools, i.e. the Parsons New School of Design in New York.
In December of 2019, Cui found himself basking in Bangkok’s creative climate when presenting his “Universe Without Boundaries” art exhibit.
According to one interview with ADF Webmagazine, Cui was “so smitten with the city that he decided to set up a studio for the next three months to develop his métier and decide on his future direction”. New incentives on the horizon include another fashion collection and collaborations with local Thai artists.
In a bid to break the sense of mediocre artistic movement, and up the expressionist game, Cui chose to switch to fashion design when attending Parsons.
With a portfolio boosted by streaks and strokes of his existing collection of highly intricate illustrations in pencil plus the fashion pieces from his Parsons graduation collection… Cui’s work is a feast for the eyes.
The eye must and shall travel.
Learn more visual facts about this ferocious virtuoso:
FEATURED IMAGE: Design by Hanyu Cui (崔翰宇), the 24/ Day Dreamer’s DayDream Collection — Modeled by Jen Liu. Photography by Lu “Luna” Weijia for Temper’s “The R-Rated Issue” ©Temper Magazine, 2020. All rights reserved
SPOTTED A FASHION FAIL OR HAVE SOMETHING TO ADD? PLEASE LET US KNOW IN THE COMMENT SECTION BELOW OR EMAIL US AT INFO@TEMPER-MAGAZINE.COM
© THE CHINA TEMPER, A TEMPER MEDIA PRODUCTION, 2020. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
DO NOT REPRODUCE TEMPER MEDIA CONTENT WITHOUT CONSENT -– YOU CAN CONTACT US AT INFO@TEMPER-MAGAZINE.COM
- CCTV Bows Blow Up, Basketball Star Gets Slam-dunked and China’s Youth Travels to Windy Places - January 27, 2023
- Must-Watch Trends In China Fashion And Urban Culture–Hop On Board! - January 23, 2023
- China Fashion Icons: The Model Trifecta — Frontier, Forbes and Future - January 14, 2023